Protect your home against storms
With Queensland prone to vicious storms it is important to follow some simple tips to help keep your home safe during a storm.
- Check around your home for any potential hazards. This can include overgrown tree branches, garden debris, tools, outdoor toys, furniture, umbrellas and corrugated roofing iron.
- Trim overgrown tree branches and secure any loose items outside your home.
- Keep a torch, radio and spare batteries at ready access in case of a blackout.
- Make sure you have access to a phone that does not rely on mains power to operate.
- Fallen power lines can be deadly, do not touch them.
If you lose power during a storm, contact Energex on 13 62 62. If there any fallen power lines, phone 13 19 62. The State Emergency Services (SES) can be contacted on 132 500.
Seniors Legal and Support Services
If you are experiencing, witnessing or concerned about elder abuse, the Seniors Legal and Support Service may be able to help.
The service provides free legal and support services for seniors including information, advice and support regarding elder abuse, mistreatment or financial exploitation; short-term counselling; information on your legal rights; in certain circumstances represent you in court or before tribunals; and refer you to other legal, consumer and support services.
The Seniors Legal and Support Service can be contacted on 3254 1811.